In my family, being a vegetarian is not an option. My dad and sister have been meat lovers ever since I can remember. My mom has her own omitting-animal-proteins-is-strictly-forbidden health definition. Anyways, years of enduring countless meals featuring meat and chicken ultimately made me develop a liking for them, but it still doesn’t trump my obsession with cheese, vegetables and quite recently, tofu.
There are a whole lot of people who would rather skip a meal than eat tofu—one of them my roommate—but I think the reason could be that they don’t know how to cook it. It can be hard to think that something with such a peculiar texture and color could possibly taste good, but it can. Follow a good recipe, like the one below, and tofu will go from being an odd commodity in a supermarket corner to a staple in your kitchen.
Asian Tofu Marinade with Veggies (adapted from Cookie + kate)
For Tofu Marinade:
- 1 package extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 large carrots, cut into ½ inch rounds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups sugar snap peas
- Salt and pepper
- Put tofu in between 4 paper towels (2 on top and 2 on bottom) and gently squeeze out the excess liquid. Cut into 1-inch cubes and place in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine marinade ingredients and whisk them together, or use a jar and shake until fully combined.
- Drizzle marinade over tofu cubes and toss gently until evenly coated. Cover tofu with saran wrap and let sit in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss marinated tofu onto lined baking sheet and spread in one even layer. Bake in oven for 30 minutes, or until golden and crispy, flipping tofu halfway so that it cooks evenly.
- Meanwhile, in a medium dish, toss red bell pepper and carrots with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and cook in oven for about 30 minutes or until tender.
- In a large pot, place snap peas and 2 cups water over medium-high heat. Steam for about 20 minutes.
- Serve tofu atop veggies.